Monday, August 9, 2010

School Room Re-org

This week is the Not back to school blog hop week # 2 School rooms!!

I can't wait to see what everyone has going this year!!  There are always so many wonderful ideas, and inspiration!
So I am linking up with some school room photos of my own...

This is our school room LAST YEAR, the kids were 5 and 3.  The sun never shines on this side of the house. It looks dark doesn't it? =(
LAST YEAR Other side of room

So, I painted a wall, and added some more color and a  New school desk... regular size... (kids were getting to small fo the other table)
I purchased this awesome desk for 50 euros... second hand.. I love the circle at the end. this is great for all of us to work together.. It's the perfect size for this room. I have litterally used every inch of space in this room possible, and still not make it to overwhelming! =)



All I have to do is turn around and i can be with the kids to help them... i love it!

Our workboxes... and My workboxes. Mine were a splurge. I went to Ikea a few weeks ago, and it was in the clearance section fro 20 euros! I knew I would find a place for it... It looks a bit cramped. but it works.


I keep all our math manipulatives, etc in it so far, but i plan to use it to keep my weekly fill in the workbox stuff, so it's easy for me to see what i need to put  in the kids boxes during the week.




Top of the workboxes on the window sill are my teacher guides... the blue basket for completed work.
My printables for FIAR
Our ART Center



We found these on the side of the road in our village. There were two tops to buffets.
we sanded and painted... just stacked them on top of each other.



I got a ton of these tins at a yard sale this summer, and have filled them with supplies. they are all great sizes. and colorful!

Our lapbook caddy. We don't always do our lapbooks at the table, sometimes we end up in the living room. So we are always getting up to go find more tape, or glue.. this way it's an extra set and ready to tote!
I  used a spice rack turn table to store the rest of our utensils. I cut up sponges to use for our Handwriting
without tears chalkboards.
Super cute tin I picked up this summer for 50 cents! holds our paint.

The rest of the shelves hold all our drawing books,  how to art books, and supplies and all their coloring books. Everything is in reach so they can grab it when they like.


View from the other side of the school room. our dining room is to the left here...

After we got the new desk, we went to Ikea to find some chairs... we found this great chair set on clearance for 5 euros each. marked down from 20 euros.
they were a little bummed becuase we were going to buy colorful office chairs... but i had an idea!

they turned out so cute! and with paint i already had on hand! they love them!
and here is mama's chair. Also a second hand find... re-done.

(my desk it si from ikea, but i got it second hand)

a fun lamp is always my favorite when it comes to decorating.
dual monitors....yes, i have a cool computer husband, and he loves me!
I thought this was cute. it's a littel art cetner from IKEA. itwas like 3 euros
they can easily pull this out when they want to have some painting time, and it makes it a it easier.


Under my desk I store our paper in an old Candy rack from a store. It works great!

curtaiuns, and theme pattern....
My printing area, and our maps. (french map, but it's all i have right now!)
I added two clocks ..... this helps us to know what's going on with Daddy too! JT loves looking at them to see what time it is where he is... and while he is only one hour apart now, when he goes to korea, this will really come in handy!
on the otehr side of the school room is  a pine cabinet I painted yellow. This really brightens up our room. This is full of books, and hands on learning supplies..


They can just open it and play! I can also easily grab these and dump them into teh workboxes, when I am filling them boxes...

I also bought a wooden turntable from Ikea, and we painted it... this has been awesome!
the kids just spin when they need a set of colors instead of fighting over who has teh jar of markers! =)I also put the tiny chalk pieces and the handwriting without tears pencils  in as well.

I picked up a book holder for when we need to refer to our FIAR book during lapbook time or lesson time in the school room. Very handy!

Little kinder Computer area!


From the school room you can see our dining area, and how it's so connected... it's like a layered house!
we do school here alot too, and that nice long buffet you see....holds MORE school stuff!!!

I just painted the legs of the table a month ago...tying into my NEW additction of turquoise!

 
Into our living room...  to the right, We do alot of school in here as well... a quick peek!
This was a few months ago, and we have sinced moved the small tables ( they are to big for them)
I put the old school table in here, and they use it for puzzles etc..
yes, this is the worlds cutest stool! =) And a major splurge of mine too.. probalby the most expensive thing in my house! =) I bought this cutie off german ebay... for 70 euros. at the time over $100! But I love it.


I finally organized all our books on this shelf... it was getting really full,

Here is another second hand purchase. we all love. I rotate teh books out by topic... or season.

In our living room next to our couch is a learning center.. I use it primarly for our FIAR weekly study.
This summer we have used it for our Ocean Adventure box. The kdis LOVE it, and it keeps the story in our mind all week. I love to make the displays too.



This is my summer cabinet. I have had this cabinet for a few years, and I paint it by the season. Our games are stored down below.

This season i switched it out  for this one...



We moved our puzzle cabinet to the basement.. ( i ran out of wall space) but it's no problem. the way the house is layed out, it's in our washer room so not to far.

I was inspired to do my schooling area and alot of our home by our spring trip to Venice. These are photos are in Burano.. a small Island. Perhaps my favorite spot!

I loved how all the colors were so cheerful, and in the winter our Germany home needs cheerful!



our hallway upstairs houses the Art Wall



I moved all the books from our big shelf in the living room that were not "stories" down to the basement.
I am working on organzing it futher, so far i have labled each with a sticker for Science, History, Holiday, etc...
We also moved the rest of our games down here , to free up some of the clutter upstairs in the living room.
the colors have also leaked out to my patio .....

Later  I will post about our Learning centers!
but for now, thank you for visiting!


25 Thoughtful Comments:

Sam said...

I love that you have so much clearance and yard sale school stuff! I am never the girl who can find treasures. :( We have no Ikea in rural KY, so I can't even go there! I really like your new desk, and the yellow cabinet! We are stuck with 25 dollar black bookcases from WalMart...your mismatched stuff feels very cozy!

Millicent said...

wow---your room is awesome!!!

Jenn said...

Oh how beautiful!! I love all the different colored buildings all in a row...so charming, what a great idea to bring some of that into your school room.

Your mushroom stool is so charming!

I love your cabinets to store all of your goodies, too. I need to look out for something like that....holds lots and looks great too. Not utilitarian....SUPER!

Robin E. said...

Oh, I love, love, love that table!!!! Oh, man, I can't say that enough. In fact, I rather love your whole school room, but that circle ended table... Yes, I'm geeking out about it. Honestly, I have no idea where I'd put it but I still want it.

Thank you for sharing on the NOT Back-to-School blog hop.

Faith said...

What a wonderful post! I absolutely love your school room and all the accessories you have in it. I'll bet your little ones just adore doing school there! Thank you for all your inspiration.

Nichole said...

Your space is lovely!

Carrie said...

You have such a great, colorful space!!!

I'm drooling over your art center - I SO wish I had space for something like that!! ;)

Dana said...

O.k. in my book you win the prize. You have a wonderful school room. So fun to learn in. I can't wait to read about your learning centers. I'm adding you to blogs I read. Thanks for sharing.

Monica said...

Wow.. I could LIVE in your school room... it's so cheery and bright! I really liked using FIAR also. Thanks for sharing and stopping by my blog. Monica
discovertheirgifts.blogspot.com

Courtney (Women Living Well) said...

wow! You are so creative! I love your school room! It looks like a fun place to learn and grow!! Enjoy your journey together this year! May God bless it!
Courtney

Amanda American Girl said...

great room - have a good school year

Nicole said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such a nice compliment. Your room looks fabulous! I love the colors, and your organizing ideas. And that mushroom stool is so adorable, I love the touch of whimsy it adds.

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Perfect mix of space-age and rustic accents! The mushroom stool was my fave, though... :)

Kara said...

What a fun schoolroom! I LOVE your art center...I wish I had space for something like that.

Tiffany said...

AWESOME SCHOOLROOM! Can't wait to hear about your centers!

Amanda said...

Oh, Angela, your spaces are all ADORABLE! I love all the painted cabinets, and your owl chair, and the toadstool, and how thoughtfully arranged and organized it all is! You obviously put a lot of work into it, and I bet it pays off in fun and learning with your beautiful children. :)

Carla (Choosing His Joy) said...

I love your room,you have so many creative ideas! Having Venice be your inspiration is AWESOME--I can see it in your room!

Jenny said...

What an awesome room! You have some good finds in there!

Anonymous said...

I love your long white table and the mushroom table. Too cute! Beautiful school room!

Mom in High Heels said...

What a great room! I love it all. That yellow cabinet is fabulous! You MUST live on the economy. We are Germany homeschoolers too. We're in Heidelberg. You can see my (much smaller) room on my hs blog (there's a link to it on the far right of my regular blog).

Jessica said...

What a wonderful space you have for you little people!

Nicole said...

Love your desk! Thanks for sharing how you organize everything. I always need more ideas.

Catherine said...

You have such great ideas, and a wonderful knack for finding those amazing things. Your whole house is a perfect place for your little ones to love and learn. I wish you all a very blessed school year.

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

Wow! Everything is so fun and inviting! I just love how visually appealing everything is.

I love that little stool as well. How sweet!

Rikki Kreger said...

This is the neatest/prettiest school room post I've read yet! Love your ideas and creativity! I wish I was that resourceful!!

Post a Comment

Thoughtful notes...

Related Posts with Thumbnails