Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Homeschooling When it Sucks -




I spend alot of nights these days researching, reading, learning all I can about homeschooling. Mostly on the internet; with some books from Amazon on it's way. (this is a wonderful age to be a homeschooler, there is so much out there!)

What's the right curriculum? Are we doing the right thing? What about this theory or that? And all the time during the day, we do our school. Coming of the Sugar High of Christmas, and the lazy days..it's been less than easy to say the least to get all of us back into routine. Not even one full year into homeschooling and I blurted to my husband the other day "That's it! I am DONE!" ( thank you Lord for an encouraging husband! )

Tonight I read this article ( from Heart of the matter online) posted by Emergent homeschool
It was Very encouraging that a Mom of 8 years into Homeschooling wrote this! I am so thankful for encouraging moms that take the time to encourage us newbies!

Please note that the words in BOLD are The days I have had. =)


Homeschooling When it Sucks

I've been doing this for eight years. In case no one ever told you, I'm going to tell you now:

There will be days...


when the children wiggle non-stop and you can't get their attention without use of force.
when the desire to organize your tax receipts, clean your tile grout, or finally get to that dentist appointment will seem far more enjoyable than schooling your kids.
when your children will literally scream at you, "You NEVER help me!!"
when your children will not stop screaming at one another.
when you completely agree that public school is really God's answer to ignorance.
when the baby/toddler just won't nap.
when other people's agendas will take over your day.
when you literally CANNOT finish a sentence without correcting someone.
when four math problems will take two hours.
when you convince yourself that they can still think clearly with a fever of 101.
when they just don't get it... for the fifth time.
when they scowl at you.

when they all ask for your help at once....continually.
when they refuse to talk to you at all.
when they tap the dang pencil.

when you discover what they've really been doing while they're supposed to be completing their computer-based curriculum.
when your husband surpasses your skills in housekeeping, because SOMEONE has to get it done.
when company asks if they can come in the middle of the school year.

when you get an earful of someone's narrow opinion about your choice to homeschool.
when you put them in the car for a field trip and they whine because they don't want to go.
when your expectations are way toooo high.

when your children cry.
when you cry.
when you say outloud, "I'm done."
It's not every day, but they do show up. When those days come, know that tomorrow is a new day and God can redeem anything. by
Emergent Homeschool

God Can Redeem Anything! Tommorow is a NEW DAY!

This is a photo above of my JT.....as the old saying goes..."Aren't they adorable when they're asleep?" When I look at them sleeping like this; all the frusterations for the day fade away, my heart is reminded of my incredible love for them, and I vow that tommorow with Jesus is a NEW DAY!

His mercies are new every morning. Thank you Jesus!

2 Thoughtful Comments:

Roxanne said...

Soooo glad you are back in the blogging world. :) I wrote a (probably to long) comment - I walked away and one of my lovely family members clicked out!! Ah!!

Anyhow, the short story is...after 10 years of homeschooling, I'll sum it up in one sentence. It's the HARDEST job I will ever LOVE!! :)
When you are having a hard day...just act like Jesus is at the table or desk with you. (Because He is!:)) It changes the mood REAL quick. :) Welcome, my friend, to an awesome and challenging ride. God will mold you, shape you, teach you...and always be there for you.
Keep up this adorable blog. Oh...it really makes me miss my preschoolers. Love and miss you, Roxanne

Rachelle said...

Rox, excellent comment!!!!

Post a Comment

Thoughtful notes...

Related Posts with Thumbnails